70mm presentation came to the quiet city of Fullerton with the
arrival of the Statewide Titan Theatre. This unusually designed
theatre was built right across the street from California State
University Fullerton. Designed during the Space Age and “Googie”
era of architecture, this is a rare exisiting example of a 1960s
theatre. The roof contains a number of A-shaped panels and the
front of the theatre points skyward. To complement the Titan, which
was named after the name of CSUF’s team, a shopping center was built
behind the theatre.
The Titan had a reasonably-sized lobby with the snack bar located
toward the wall. Rock and glass features, similar to the Valley
Circle Theatre in San Diego, created a warm atmosphere to the
otherwise stark lobby.
Audiences could enter the auditorium through one of two side doors
which lead to a hallway. From there, they could find seating in a
large cluster of seats in the middle of the auditorium. The seating
capacity was around 1000.
The theatre didn’t survive for long as a venue for movies.
According to professional projectionist and theatre historian, Bill
Gabel, the site was closed down by then-current owner GCC in 1976.
It was taken over by Hope University, a Christian college, and has
been used for classes and church services. The screen is no
longer there, but a stage can accomodate live
bands and sermons.
What is gratifying to know is that this theatre has been kept
virtually intact. With the exception of the screen having been
removed, the theatre looks as new as it probably did when it
opened. The original box office still has a well-preserved
ticketing machine. The snack bar is still used and is probably much
cleaner than it was during its days of movie operation. The lobby
and auditorium are clean and inviting. All that’s missing are the